The Christmas period gives us the opportunity to spend more time with our family and friends. Home Instead Waterford is advising us all to keep an eye out for tell tale signs that our older relatives may need more help over the holiday season.
Steven Tubbritt, General Manager at Home Instead Waterford said “Over the holiday season we tend to spend more time with our parents, grandparents or older relatives. They might be concerned with all the news stories about the energy crisis, so it is a good opportunity to make sure that are looking after themselves properly, have sufficient food and heat and are safe in their homes.”
The warning signs that indicate an ageing parent or relative may need more help at home include:
- Do they have any fire hazards such as burning candles?
- Do they seem to be eating well or is food spoiling in the fridge?
- Have they stopped doing daily grooming rituals like taking a shower or fixing their hair?
- Are they taking the right medications in the right doses at the right times?
- Does their car have new scratches or dents?
- Is mail or newspapers piling up without being read?
- Are they using furniture, towel bars or shower curtains to pull themselves up to stand?
- Are they at home more, watching television and avoiding stimulating conversation and companionship?
Home Instead Waterford provides services to older people in their own homes and is approved by the HSE. Its care givers help clients maintain their independence by assisting them with activities of daily living such as personal care, meal preparation, laundry, shopping, and light housekeeping.
To find out more about Home Instead Waterford call 051 333966 or visit www.homeinstead.ie