Theatre Royal has joined forces with the Green Arts Initiative in Ireland and through funding committed by the Arts Council under the Capacity Building Support Scheme each of the 7 participating venues will act on and adapt to climate change.
The emphasis of the project is to engage with and empower the staff teams and stakeholders in the individual venues to carry out the following:
- Delivering a programme of training to the venues which includes developing an understanding of the challenges of the new Climate Action Bill and what the impacts of this will be generally and on the arts sector in particular.
- Working with the venues individually to creating a Green Team and build stakeholder engagement.
- Building up skills around energy efficiency including behaviour change.
- Working with the staff teams to draw up an environmental policy for the individual venues.
- Looking at how to develop climate adaptation strategies.
- Guest speakers to deliver talks and workshops which will build capacity and understanding around a variety of issues relevant to addressing climate change such as the circular economy, waste management, biodiversity, and renewable energy technologies.
- Run a number of events including a mini Green Arts Conference towards the end of the project, a Green Arts Forum for Theatre Technicians, and a capacity building event for artists interested in addressing climate change in their practice.
- Providing support and tailored advice to the participating venues throughout the project.